Bring A Little 'Autumn' To Your Sensory Tub
Looking for a delightful autumn sensory activity for your preschoolers? The creator of the blog Two Little Seeds suggests creating a brightly colored sensory box full of texture, large and small elements, and hallmark seasonal objects!
Here's What You'll Need:
- Silk Fall Leaves. You can find these at your local craft store. In most cases you'll be able to purchase packages of individual leaves for decorating, but buying a colorful garland and pulling the leaves off will work too! Make sure to get a good selection of fall colors (e.g. reds, yellows, oranges, greens, and browns).
- Buttons. Purchase a selection of both plastic and wooden leaf buttons. If you can find them, pumpkin, apple, and gourd shaped buttons would make a great addition too!
- Felt or Knitted Nuts & Fruits. If you're handy with a needle, try making your own felted or knitted acorns, apples, pumpkins, etc. to put in the sensory tub. Not an accomplished sewer? Search for similar items at your local craft store or online.
- Cookie Cutters. Find an assortment of leaf shaped cookie cutters to add to the collection.
- Small Burlap Sacks. You can find these at your local craft store. Students will enjoy filling them up and dumping them out.
- Wooden Nuts & Fruits. Again, acorns, pine cones, pumpkins, apples, and gourds work great for this sensory box.
- Real Nuts & Embellishments. Go on a nature hunt to find acorns, pine cones, nuts, sticks, and seeds to be a part of your sensory box.
- Cinnamon Sticks. Purchased at your local grocery store, these will add a beautiful smell to your autumn box.
Add some work tools like a rake, a small shovel, wooden scoops and bowls, a small basket, etc. and your students will have a fall sensory experience they'll never forget!