Google Earth: A Great Geography Tool
There are endless possibilities for using Google Earth in the classroom.
America's Favorite Landmarks & Google Earth
Since Google Earth allows you to explore the world from your computer, have your students take a tour of America's favorite landmarks including, but not limited to:
- Liberty Bell/Independence Hall - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Statue of Liberty/Battery Park - New York, New York
- Jefferson Memorial - Washington, DC
- Grand Canyon - Grand Canyon, Arizona
- Mount Rushmore - Keystone, South Dakota
- Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco, California
- Pearl Harbor - Honolulu, Hawaii
- Empire State Building - New York, New York
After taking a remote tour of the landmark, have your students decide which they like best, then research its history, how it has evolved through the years, etc. For a more rounded worldview, have your students complete this same task with the "Seven Wonders of the World".
Lesson Planet's teacher contributor Karen Ganzel has put together a wonderful geography lesson plan using Google Earth and other fun, attention-getting resources. Be sure to check out her full article at Lesson Planet!
For other great geography resources check out our online supply store!